Saturday, January 21, 2012

Washer Necklace Upgrade


Good Morning!

So yesterday I had so much fun with this project and I can't wait to share it with you.
For a few years now I've been making jewelry out of washers...



Like this one here I made last year 

Washers are awesome because they are easy to find at your home improvement stores and they are cheap.  Not to mention there are a lot of things you can do with them.

Such as..Paint them with Nail Polish!
Yep..Nail Polish, it's that easy.

I grabbed a bottle at the Dollar Store yesterday..Hot Pink...cause who doesn't love Hot Pink???
I know in this pic it looks red, but it's pink.

The Washers I picked up at Walmart, but you can get them at any hardware store.  They cost me $0.99 for a bag of 33 (3 1/16").  The bigger ones are usually 4 for $1.
So I coated a Washer with Nail Polish..I dipped the brush in the bottle and then put a nice big dollop of polish on the washer and gently moved it around.
It was actually a lot of fun cause I love painting..who doesn't right?

After it dried, I applied a generous second coat.  I realized it wasn't necessary but it doesn't hurt.

After I painted the big Washer, I painted all these little tiny washers.

When all of them were dry, I added a layer of Quick Dry Top Coat to all the washers.
They dry rather fast...faster than I thought they would.  However, this would be a great thing to do the night before and let them dry over night.
I'd say mine dried within an hour..give or take.
I also got a bit impatient and used a hairdryer on them :) 

Here they are all shiny and dry...So adorable!!!


I made this necklace out of the little Washers


And I made this one out of the larger washer.  I added a bail to back using E6000 and added a chain to it.
This is my favorite...I really love this.  It's super shiny and bright. 
I've seen similar necklace selling for a ton at stores.

You can make so many things with this..Earrings, Bracelets, Necklace, Key Chains..you name it.

The kids can even do it!  This would be a fun project for a sleep over or birthday party.
You can mix Nail Polish Colors for a swirl or tie dye effect, or use Glitter Polish.

Have a great day ladies!
Happy Crafting!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole!

    I'm a big fan of yours and I love this idea. I have a heart charm that tarnished last year and I did exactly this on my charm and it worked. Crazy I didn't even think to put them on the washers. LOL! Awesome idea!!

    Anyway, I wanted to share with you that the other day I was at K-Mart with my daughter and we found nail polish pens! Just think what kind of designs you could add on to your nail polish washers! Can't wait to see what else you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peechee...you are so nice! Thank you so much for all your kind words ;)
    I got out all my old fingernail polish tonight and painted a bunch more. They are so much fun. I had a metallic gold color that turned out fabulous!
    As for the pens you mentioned..you read my mind! I saw some at the Dollar Store and tonight when I was painting a pink washer I thought about painting a red heart on it for Valentines Day. Great minds think alike!
    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are very pretty but can i use another sort of sealer? I would be afraid the top coat polish would chip off? maybe resin of some kind. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a great website.. The Design looks very good.. Keep working like that!. website Pressure Washer Guides

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it.. view product

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the tips and information..i really appreciate it.. simer vs flotec

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you paint both sides of the washer? With the large pendant I don't think you would have to - but wondered if there was any 'bleeding' to the back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really valuable information, thanks for sharing this information. Ogen Infosystem offers leading Website Designing in Delhi, Mumbai and also SEO Services in Delhi at an affordable price.
    SEO Company in Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply wish to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity in your post is simply great, and I could assume you are an expert on this subject. Same as your blog i found another one Sohman Epoxy .Actually I was looking for the same information on internet for
    HSC 3300
    and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have bought the washers ,but so far they are still in the bag.!! Need to get them done as your`s are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments from my readers, thank you so much for taking the time to comment and making my day by doing so.