Monday, January 16, 2012

DIY Glitter



I am always on the look out for ways of making my own supplies for crafting.  It saves money and making the supplies is a craft of it's own!
It's a win/win :)

I'm going to show you how to make your own Glitter!
I know...exciting right????

The Two Ingredients Are:
Table Salt
Food Coloring

Does it get any easier???
No...No it does not :)


Let's get started shall we...
First Pre Heat your oven to 350 degrees
Line a cookie sheet with foil

I added one big piece of foil to cover the whole cookie sheet and then two big squares on top..one square for each glitter color so I could do two at a time and pick them up off the cookie sheet easily.


I added 1 Tablespoon of Table Salt to a bowl and 3 drops of Blue Food Coloring.
The Food Coloring will clump up but just keep breaking it up and stirring until it's all incorporated.


It took 5 drops of Red Food Coloring to make the Red.
I started out with the 3 drops and then added a drop at a time as needed.


Next I spread out the Salt on one of my squares of Foil...and then added the other color on the other square.

Baked it in the oven for 10 minutes


I let it cool and then I picked up a square carefully...we don't want to spill glitter everywhere LOL..
And I sifted it thru a fine sifter..totally not necessary but I wanted any clumps out of my glitter.


Here is the finished product all shiny and finely sifted.  
I LOVE THIS!

Break out the glue and started making stuff!

This is so cheap to make, it's non toxic, easy for kids to help make and fun for all ages!

Happy Crafting!!

3 comments:

  1. This will come in handy! How cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Glitter DIY- until now I viewed glitter as a plague. My girls love it (I admit I do too) but oh boy is it no fun to deal with! Cannot wait to do a glitter project now!!
    New Follower over from Bacon Time! Cannot wait to check out all your fun posts!
    ~Jen @ hutchinsonherd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments from my readers, thank you so much for taking the time to comment and making my day by doing so.